Thursday, March 12, 2009

Rong Cheng Bak Kut Teh @ Sin Ming Industrial Park

Our 2nd lunch date was on a rainy afternoon...

I was rather stressed at work and needed some warm comfort - bak kut teh with DH was just the thing to perk me up.

DH wanted to bring me to bishan, he said, lots of good food and it's somewhere that I have never been. It's true that I seldom venture to this part of Singapore. It's just not anywhere near where I would normally hang out.

Have heard of this place from the food bloggers, but never tried it.

Am glad I did.


This is the stuff we ordered to share. DH likes the tang orh (green vegetable in soup). He says its nicely cooked and fragrant. I liked the pig trotter. It was braised till tender, and cleaned very well, so it didnt smell or taste porky. Just tasty and savoury with lots of that dark sticky soya sauce.


We each had a bowl of bak kut teh. The long pork rib is the nicest. The other 2 are just so-so. Next time we must order only prime ribs. They refill the soup too, but my refill wasn't piping hot. such disappointment. The soup was slightly peppery, and fragrant with garlic. You can see whole large cloves of garlic in the soup. No herbal smell or taste. This is pure teochew style i guess. I like it this way, although it could be a tad more peppery.


Almost everyone in the coffeeshop ordered the same thing as us. Then the lady would balance everything on a metal tray and cart it over to the table. She is super strong!

The food came very quickly and cost about $20 for both of us.

Verdict: I wouldnt mind coming back if I am in the area.